John Morris Scientific complies with the National Privacy Principles set out in the Privacy Amendment (Private Sector) Act 2000 regarding the collection, use and disclosure of personal or sensitive information. We collect the following information for the following primary purposes:
- Customer name, address, contact details, bank account details, ABN/GST registration and credit reference details for the purpose of facilitating the financing of goods purchases and establishing the credit worthiness (in John Morris Scientific's opinion) of the customer
- Customer name, address and contact details for the purposes of providing, when requested by a customer, product catalogues or any other publications of John Morris Scientific.
Collection of personal information is only collected:
- If a customer applies to purchase a product from our site
- If a customer requests to receive future product catalogues or any other publications of John Morris Scientific or its affiliates
- By lawful and fair means and not unreasonably obtrusively; and
- Where practicable, only from the individual concerned
At the time of collection of information we take reasonable steps to ensure the individual is aware of:
- The likely use of the information
- The right of access to the information
- The identity and contact details of the organization
- Any law requiring collection of the information; and
- The main consequences of failure to provide the information.
Use & Disclosure of Personal Information:
John Morris Scientific discloses personal information:
- For the primary purpose for which it was collected; or
- Where the individual would reasonably expect this; or
- Where the individual has consented; or
- For the purposes of debt collection by a third party debt collection agency; or
- For direct marketing by John Morris Scientific and gives individuals the opportunity to opt out of direct marketing.
John Morris Scientific uses personal information that it collects to provide further information to customers about websites and services that we consider may be of interest to customers;
- For verification of a customer’s identity and in assisting customers in circumstances such as when a customer has forgotten his or her password or login details for the website registration services;
- In assisting to provide services requested by customers;
- For marketing and promotional purposes, including direct marketing, market research and surveys;
- For any further uses authorised by customers.
John Morris Scientific takes steps to ensure information is accurate and up-to-date by updating its records whenever changes to the data come to its attention. John Morris Scientific disregards information which seems likely to be inaccurate or out of date by reason of the time which has elapsed since it was collected or by reason of any other information in its possession.
John Morris Scientific protects personal information from misuse or loss by restricting access to the information in electronic format and by appropriate physical and communications security.
Any data destroyed is disposed of in a manner which protects the privacy of information in an appropriate manner.
When purchasing from John Morris Scientific your financial details are passed through a secure server using the latest 128-bit SSL (secure sockets layer) encryption technology. This encryption technology is approximated to take at least one trillion years to break, and is the industry standard. If you have any questions regarding our purchasing security policy, please contact our customer support centre firstname.lastname@example.org.
Access & Correction:
John Morris Scientific acknowledges that individuals have a general right of access to information concerning them, and to have inaccurate information corrected.
Use of Government Identifiers:
John Morris Scientific does not use government identifiers other than ABN's to identify individuals.
John Morris Scientific allows individuals the option not to identify themselves when dealing with it, where practicable.
Trans-border Data Flows:
John Morris Scientific does not send personal information outside Australia or New Zealand for any purpose other than compliance with Government Regulations or to assist international law enforcement.
Collection of Sensitive Information:
John Morris Scientific does not collect sensitive information (personal information about an individual’ s racial or ethnic origin, political opinions or membership of a political association, religious beliefs or affiliations, membership of a professional or trade association, beliefs, membership of a trade union, sexual preference or practices, criminal record, or health information.).
Information You Provide Us:
For John Morris Scientific to process your order, we need information such as your name, email or contact number, delivery address and payment details. Other information will also be collected with your permission from time to time. This will normally include preferences such as likes or dislikes.
What Are Cookies?
Cookies are alphanumeric identifiers that are placed on your computer's hard drive through your web browser. Cookies enable our systems to recognise your browser and welcome you back to the Store. By disabling cookies, you will not be able to participate in some of the features offered by our website.
Most Internet browsers are pre-set to accept cookies. If you prefer not to receive cookies, you can adjust your Internet browser to disable or to warn you when cookies are used. As there are many browsers in the marketplace, the easiest way to change your settings is by searching for cookies in your Help/Contents and Index option on your browser.
We recommend that you leave your cookies enabled otherwise, you may not be able to shop with us. Our cookies do not send us back any information about your computer or any other information on your hard drive.
How do we use the information?
Information that you have provided us will be used in four ways:
- To enhance your shopping experience
- To communicate to you new products and services and also at times, the opportunity to take up special promotions or offers. You have the option to opt-out of this communication
- To communicate issues or opportunities regarding the business or operations of John Morris or any of its subsidiary organisations
- To generate a holistic but anonymous view of the website customer base. This information will allow us to analyse trends and demographics to help the website improve on the services provided
It is important to note that we send periodical communications to people who have "opted in" to receive email updates about products and special offers, and retain the right to inform our customers of changes in our business operations from time to time. We honour our members' rights to privacy and do not send out "spam" to our members in any way.
Disclosing Your Information:
Authorities: John Morris Scientific will pass on any information relating to suspected fraudulent activity to appropriate authorities.
Verification of Members: We do use various details to verify information given to us by our members. At times, we use:
- Names on member accounts to compare with information on credit cards
- We use member phone numbers and email addresses provided to us to communicate with customers about payments
- We use member addresses to check against credit card billing addresses etc.
In cases where fraud or other crime is suspected, we do communicate with Police, Banks and other relevant authorities. Many of these checks are done manually and communication is handled carefully by a member of John Morris Scientific's own Accounts team.
Lost Login & Password Details:
All information is kept private. Many members often forget details such as their passwords. We only distribute these to the registered email address against the account.
All information submitted to the website is secured using Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) software. Information sitting on the website is protected by state-of-the-art encryption and firewall technology
Other Privacy Information You Should Be Aware Of:
Sign out or close your browser once you have finished shopping within the website. This is to ensure that others cannot access your personal information and correspondence.
If you share a computer with someone or are using a computer in a public place like a library or Internet café. You as an individual are responsible for the security of and access to your computer.
You are solely responsible for maintaining the secrecy of your user name and passwords and any account information. Please be careful and responsible whenever you are using the Internet and our web sites.
Further Privacy information can be obtained on the Australian Privacy Commissioner's Web Site
If you need more assistance you can always contact our Customer Service team on 1300 501 555 within Australia between 8:30am - 5pm AEST Monday to Friday (excluding public holidays), or email email@example.com
Commercial In Confidence:
John Morris Scientific does not want you to send proprietary information which is important to your business operation via our web site or electronic communication mediums.
John Morris Scientific accepts no responsibility for loss of or damage to maintenance of secrecy with respect to any plans, drawings, samples or other materials supplied by you through our email or web business systems.
A John Morris Scientific Web Member may not have more than one active membership, whether this is by use of name, email address, an alias or combination thereof. We reserve the right to suspend an account should we suspect the member has dual accounts or is providing false information.
Membership accounts are non-transferable. You may update, edit or terminate your membership account at any time. You agree to maintain and update the information as supplied by yourself to ensure accuracy at all times.
As a John Morris Scientific Web Member, you are responsible for maintaining the confidentiality of your own membership account and password. You agree to take responsibility for all activities that occur under your membership account and password.